Often times believers ask for a practical plan to help them pray effectively. The disciples were wise when they said, "Lord teach us to pray." The framework below is a simple prayer format to help you grow in the area of prayer.
- The regular reading of significant amounts of Scripture is absolutely essential to your prayer life.
- Familiarize yourself with the basic guidelines and biblical principles for powerful prayer.
- Be prepared to give God the best time of your day with undivided attention.
- Develop a balance of praise/thanksgiving, confession, petition, and intercession during your prayer time.
- Daily ask God to teach you to pray (Luke 11:1).
EIGHT PRINCIPLES OF POWERFUL PRAYER
- Pray with an attitude of authority and confidence through the name of Jesus (John 14:13-14; Hebrews 4:16).
- Spend quality time allowing God to search you so you are freshly cleansed from every sin or hindrance (Provers 28:13).
- Specifically ask Him to fill and anoint you with His Spirit (Ephesians 5:18; Romans 8:26).
- Determine to pray in genuine faith and expectancy (Mark 1:22-24).
- Ask God to prevent the influence of Satan in yourself and in the subjects for which you pray (Ephesians 6:11).
- Ask God for the spirit of fervency in your praying (James 5:16).
- In your praying be as specific as possible (Philippians 4:6).
- Concerning your key prayer requests, seek to find committed partners who will agree with you in united prayer (Matthew 18:19).
Adapted from How to Develop a Powerful Prayer Life by Gregory Frizzell.